Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Everyday Yumminess: Sriracha Salt

I bought my food dehydrator back in the day because I wanted to use it as a yogurt-making incubator.  While that remains its primary purpose in my kitchen, I like finding other random uses for it (e.g., prosciutto-powder).  The most recent application was to streamline a recipe for Sriracha Salt.
I got the recipe from my Sriracha Cookbook... (which I bought to be a stocking-stuffer for my dad at Christmas, but then accidentally kept because it's pretty awesome...)  I absolutely love the flavor of Sriracha, so having a spicy salt with that flavor infused in it sounded genius to me...
The recipe barely even counts as a recipe...  Combine Sriracha and salt in the prescribed proportions... Stir together...
Anyway...  From here you can follow the recipe's instructions, or you can toss the mixture onto the "fruit roll-up" accessory to your dehydrator and get the job done in a few hours.  (The side effect of this is that your whole house smells like Sriracha for the whole time you're drying your salt.  I enjoyed this, but it completely freaked out Jackson, who spent the whole time hiding in my room...)
My salt was a little clumpy after it dried, so I pulsed it in the food processor a few times to get it back to looking like a salt... and that's it.  I packaged up some to give to my dad and some for a friend (it's practically free to make, so it's an easy way to seem generous on a budget...), and I can't wait to start using it on all manner of random foods...

No comments: