Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Blueberry Goodness

I've been on a blueberry kick lately, pretty much ever since they were on sale at a too-good-to-pass-up price and I was reminded how awesome they are. While I enjoy just eating them on their own, my favorite thing to do with them is to make Blueberry Clafouti. The first recipe I tried was the one here, and it never gave me any reason to move on to experimenting with any other... I like to rewarm them to have with my morning coffee, or to serve with a soup of vanilla frozen yogurt as dessert. Simple, quick, and totally delicious.I've made these with whole milk, light cream, and heavy cream (when I didn't have any other dairy in the house... darn...). Guess which one is by far the tastiest? For normal eating, I stick with whole milk, but if I wanted to impress a guest, I may whip up the heavy cream version again... I'll include pictures of both so you can see the difference. Most recently, I scored a huge flat of blueberries at Costco for about $3, so I used almost twice as many as usual in this batch. The blueberries go into the bottom of buttered ramekins...
While the oven preheats to 350°F, three eggs and a third of a cup of sugar are beaten together.
To this, a cup of milk/cream, 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, and a pinch of salt are added. The custardy mixture is then distributed among the ramekins. Here's the milk version:
and the cream version:
These go into that 350°F oven for 30-35 minutes. The soufflé up a bit, but will deflate by the time you serve them. Here's the milk version, where the berries float up and are mixed with the custard:
and the cream version, where the custard puffs up above a base of blueberry goodness:
If you have some vanilla crème fraiche lying around, it's not a bad way to top your finished clafouti.
Give it a try next time you get your hands on a pint of blueberries. You can thank me later...

No comments: