Monday, April 26, 2010

Everyday Yumminess: Lime Yogurt Cake with Fresh Blackberry Sauce

Another weekend, another recipe from Smitten Kitchen. This time it's a Lime Yogurt Cake with Fresh Blackberry Sauce. I was having some extended family over for dinner on Saturday, and that seemed like the type of situation that called for me to bake a cake. Because I don't care for baking, I only do so when either it's a very special occasion or the recipe is as easy as humanly possible.
The wet ingredients include yogurt, lime juice, lime zest, and sugar (which is always a wet ingredient even though it's dry)...
... which are whisked together in a bowl, into which you sift the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
Stir until just combined, then dump into a greased spring-form pan and throw it in the oven for about 35 minutes,
... and you have cake. Really yummy lime-flavored cake.
While the baking is going on, you can prepare the super-simple sauce. I was worried that fresh blackberries would be prohibitively expensive, but the grocery shopping gods put them on sale for me, so it was on...
The berries are puréed with a little water, a little sugar, and a little lime juice, then pushed through a fine sieve.
This leaves you with a smooth, surprisingly delicious blackberry sauce. Following the advice at Smitten Kitchen, I've been using some of the extra on the homemade yogurt that I have for breakfast in the mornings, and it takes breakfast to a whole new level.Time to plate up. You can do this either showing great restraint with your sauce:
Or you can throw elegance to the wind and give yourself a proper serving of the awesome blackberry goodness.
I originally went with small amounts of sauce because I was worried that it would overpower the delicate cake, but it actually complements it perfectly. The cake is exactly my kind of dessert. Aside from being insanely easy to make, it's also not too sweet (which is important to me). I love citrus, too, and can see doing lemon or orange (maybe even grapefruit?) versions of this cake with various different berry sauces. And thus, Smitten Kitchen has led me to deliciousness yet again.

No comments: